So you have finally got your dream place. All the papers are signed and the legal aspects have been taken care of and you just can’t stop envisioning yourself in your new home.
But now there seems to be a lot of little tasks in your moving house checklist that needs to be taken care of, and boy are you overwhelmed by these tasks!!
Don’t worry every house move brings with itself these little hassles. Just keep reading this guide and you will find that the tasks that seem so overwhelming are nothing but tiny bite-size chunks.
Without any further ado, let’s begin!!
1. Start here with your moving home checklist
Uhh!! You are in the middle of a nice, sweet, pre-move dream!! But you need to wake up and take note of the following tasks which need ticking off as it will be of great help later on.
- Make up your mind on the best moving date.
- Book a moving date with your house removalists Sydney service provider.
- Order moving boxes and packing materials from your house moving service provider.
2. Create a general moving house checklist
- Remember to start your preparations at least 2-4 weeks before your moving date.
- Decide whether you want to do it yourself or you want to hire a removalist. If you decide to hire then lookup for the best house removalists in your area then go with Two Men and Van.
Hiring a specialist has many advantages and eases the process of moving. And hiring the best removalist will also allow receiving the best possible house removal quote.
- Ensure that your new residence is ready to accommodate all your valuables.
- Make sure to send a prior notice to redirect your bills, periodicals, and newspapers to your new address.
- Use up all the little things that you might not need in your new home. This will reduce the unnecessary cost of moving and wastage.
- Organize all your important documents like your medical records and insurance papers in one place.
3. Things that need to be done 2-4 weeks before your moving day
Although you have made the wise decision to hire a specialist you would still want to pack some things yourself. Following are some essentials that should be on your things to do when moving house checklist to make life a little easier:
- Get the best house removal quote.
- Arrange for moving transit insurance
- See to it that there is parking available for your moving truck for your pick-up and new address.
- Book your house removalists Sydney in advance.
- Get insurance for your new place.
- Arrange for transport for your belongings and your pets separately.
- Hire a handyman.
- Provide the Electoral Office with information about your new address.
- Notify driver’s license and car registration.
- Create a floor plan for your new place. This will give you an idea as to where to put your furniture.
- Create an inventory and note down any dents or scratches.
- Make a list of all the fragile items that will require special care.
- Get rid of items that are no longer required including flammable liquids.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for moving.
- Throw away goods that have reached their expiry dates.
- Arrange for school or day-care transfers.
- Arrange for air tickets and accommodation when traveling.
- Redirect any subscriptions to your new address.
- Confirm with your real estate agents about your moving date and key collection.
- Return all borrowed items.
- Set up utilities at your new home.
- Give prior notice to your landlord.
- Start packing.
Following are some of the packing materials that you will need to get from your removalist:
- Moving boxes.
- Warning tapes for fragile items.
- Tape and packing paper.
- Bubble wrap.
4. Things to do when moving house just 1 week before the scheduled day
Now it’s quite normal to feel that you’re running out of time at this point. However, there’s nothing to worry about. Just take a deep breath and follow the following instructions:
Start finishing what you have left in your pantry. Experiment with new dishes if you want but use up what is left.
Separate all the things that will need on the day of your house move like carrying bags, clothes, keys, contracts, medicines, toiletries, etc.
Don’t hesitate to ask your building manager to book a lift for your move if you live in an apartment.
Confirm any property settlement times.
Notify your neighbors about your moving date so that they get the time to say farewell.
Notify the following about your change of address:
- Credit card companies.
- Friends and family.
- Cell phone companies.
- Internet/cable services.
- Electricity services.
- Subscription services.
- Water and gas services.
- Australia Post mail redirect.
- Removals insurance agency.
5. Checklist for the night before your house move
Feeling emotional right? Well, you don’t have to time dwell on the memories at this time. This is your final chance to complete any unfinished tasks. Give a call to your house moving service provider if you feel that you need help with packing as it is taking up your time.
Following are some of the things that should be on your moving house checklist in Australia the night before:
- By now you should be done with packing everything but your overnight essentials bag.
- Double-check under the wardrobe, tables, and couches to make sure there are no items left behind.
- Disconnect your washing machine and dishwasher and let the hoses drain out.
- Disconnect your BBQ gas bottle as well.
- Remove any unwanted appliances.
- Disconnect your fridge and freezer and soak up any melting ice by sticking a towel under the fridge door.
- Empty gas cylinders with valves open.
- Park your car in the best possible spot where you want your Mover’s truck to stand. You can also bin in the extra spaces to keep the parking area available.
- Remember to charge your phone overnight.
6. Suggested checklist for your moving day
The day has finally come and hopefully, by now you’re ready to take the final step – that is to move to your new haven. Here’s what should be on your moving house checklist for the day:
- Put the rubbish out for council clean-up.
- Make sure that the house is secure.
- Give a call to your house removalists Sydney service provider to make sure that they know you are home and ready for the movers to arrive.
- Make sure that the important boxes can be easily accessed.
- Point out the boxes that are marked fragile to the movers so that they aren’t missed out.
- Carry all the important things with you.
Things to be remembered at your new home:
- Get to your new location and instruct the movers where to unload your furniture boxes.
- Make sure they have access to all the key areas.
- Provide them with a photocopy of the furniture floor plan.
- See to it that all utilities are connected.
- Double-check your inventory before signing
- Notify your removalist if anything is missing.
- See whether there are any items that have been left behind by the previous owner.
- Keep your fridge in an upright direction before switching it on.
- Start with assembling your bed so you can sleep after a busy day.
- Unpack your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and other essentials.
- Don’t forget to change the security locks.
- Contact your utility providers.
- Settle your children and pets with familiar things and check the garden before they start playing there.
- Keep your important documents in a safe place.
- Check all the keys. You might need a locksmith for new locks.
- Create an emergency contact number list.
- Don’t unpack everything in a single day.
- Say hello to your new neighbors.
And that’s that!! Bid farewell to the movers and cozy up with your family and soak in the reality of finally having moved to your dream place.